Railway Board vide their letter referred to above have communicated decision to the General Mangers of all the Zonal Railways to convert all the existing classroom sessions, and ‘on the job training’ to be taken on online platform on regular basis, which is not appropriate and feasible, specially for the Safety Categories where staff have to ensure safe operation of the Rail as their primary concern…….
No.AIRF/63 Dated: June 27, 2020
Sub: Online Training on Indian Railways
Ref.: Railway Board’s letter No.E(MPP)/2020/3/15 dated 19.06.2020
Railway Board vide their letter referred to above have communicated decision to the General Mangers of all the Zonal Railways to convert all the existing classroom sessions, and ‘on the job training’ to be taken on online platform on regular basis, which is not appropriate and feasible, specially for the Safety Categories where staff have to ensure safe operation of the Rail as their primary concern.
Railway Board have perhaps forgotten the concept – “Safety First Not Profit” and is giving priority to the costing over safety. This needs to be noted as primary concern that, one cannot compromises with safe operation of the trains. Taking the above point into consideration, Class Room method to impart training, whether Initial or Refresher, is the perfect way and will fulfill real purpose.
Recently, we have received many complaints from the trainees who have been marked “Absent”, harassed for Network Failure and they have been charged that they have left the training.
We would like to draw the following points in favor of Class Room Training:-
1. Online training will be given using mobile as a platform and one should not see mobile screen for more than 10-15 minutes continuously, which in turn might affect the vision of the trainee and lead to an increase in number of cases of medical de-categorization. Also it is difficult to hear with full concentration and to understand properly even.
2. Most of the time we face network problem, due to which continuity of the training will be disturbed and the trainee will not be able to connect himself properly with training.
3. In online training method; the Instructor cannot ensure, whether trainee is taking interest or not. So, actual purpose of training will not meet and both the parties will end up wasting time instead of making the most out of it.
4. Trainee will get online training at his/her house, where appropriate atmosphere cannot be created, which is essential for learning.
5. Class Room Training creates an atmosphere of discipline and concentration, which is necessary for ensuring safety of the Indian Railway.
1. It will not be possible and understandable to each and every employee to have training on Android Phone, particularly for the employees aged 45 years and above. It is also not necessary that, every employee will have an Android Phone.
2. In the online training, everyone may not get proper voice of the Instructor. That particular trainee may disturb to the others, saying not getting voice or not able to hear, like this. This problem may affect concentration of other trainees. Also other trainees might forget to use Mute Button during training, which will in turn include the voice surrounding the trainees and can waste time and effort of the trainer as well as the trainee.
8. If trainee gets call during training on his Android Phone, he may be disconnected from training and may take time in joining again, which will create a time gap in training.
9. Staff working on roadside stations will not get proper and continuous training due to frequent Network Failure.
10. Class Room Training is a very effective mode of training, in which every point of each subject can be taught and covered properly and in perfect manner and can also be understood to the trainees in the desired way necessary.
√Copy to: E.D.(Trg. & MPP), Railway Board – for necessary action please.
√Copy to: GSs, All Affiliated Unions – for information.