As you are aware that, the Government of India has enforced 4th countrywide lockdown w.e.f. today, i.e.18th May, 2020, up to 31st May, 2020, in the wake of Coronavirus spread. Ministry of Home Affairs has already issued detailed guidelines in this regard vide their Order No.40-3/2020-DM-I(A) dated 17.05.2020…..
No.AIRF/24(C) Dated: May 18, 2020
Sub: Certain important suggestions in the present scenario of COVID-19 spread in regard to Railway working
As you are aware that, the Government of India has enforced 4th countrywide lockdown w.e.f. today, i.e.18th May, 2020, up to 31st May, 2020, in the wake of Coronavirus spread. Ministry of Home Affairs has already issued detailed guidelines in this regard vide their Order No.40-3/2020-DM-I(A) dated 17.05.2020.
However, Indian Railways have not halted even for a single day, right from enforcement of the 1st lockdown from March 24, 2020 and we are successfully transporting all the Essential Commodities, that include, Foodgrains, Sugar, Milk, Perishable Items, Petroleum Products, Medical Equipments and Medicines, etc. etc. apart from Coal, Fertilizers, Steel, Cement, etc. etc. by running Goods and Time-tabled Trains throughout the country. The Indian Railways have also stood to the occasion to transport Migrant Workers to their destinations by running “Shramik Special Trains” in a large number, commencing from 1st May, 2020. Further, 15 number of “Special Trains” have started running from New Delhi to transport other rail users.
In this National endeavour almost all the Railwaymen are exerting their best by working 24X7 to keep the wheels of the Indian Railways moving round-the-clock. They are already facing the risk of the Coronavirus threat while performing their duties with utmost sincerity and devotion.
The undernoted suggestions are hereby made to facilitate protection thereof:-
1. PPE must be supplied to all the Frontline Staff
2. All entry points to the Transport System must be provided with disinfection tunnels.
3. Only passengers with Masks be permitted into the Transport System.
4. Sanitizers must be provided at all ticket issuing counters so as to sanitize before exchange of Cash/Card.
5. Emergency Medical Facilities with ambulatory equipment be made available to all Frontline Staff.
6. Weekly/Fortnightly health check-up be made mandatory to all the Frontline Staff.
7. All the staff to be under Insurance Cover of Rupees 5 Million.
8. In the event of death of any worker, one of the family members be provided alternative employment(Compassionate Ground Employment).
9. A worker on return after being treated with COVID-19 must be re-trained and provided a job with Zero Public Contact.
10. All the workers must undergo a Counseling Session so as to educate them of the Hygiene at Work Place.
11. No discrimination/ill-treatment against any effected worker on return to work.
12. Workers with history of Heart, Kidney Ailment, Complaints of Hyper/Hypotension, Hyper/Hypoglycemia, Hyper/Hypothyroidism, Cancer, AIDS and/or on Immunosuppressant Drugs must be given a fresh skills training for lighter jobs and Zero Public Contact since they are more susceptible to contracting COVID-19.
13. Workers must be provided Sanitized Washrooms/Bathrooms. At sign-off, Transport Workers must be sanitized or allowed a bath before they reach home in a Sanitized Transport System provided by the employer(For Example, a Sanitized Workmen Special Vehicle/Train/Light Rail be provided).
14. Women Transport Workers be provided with Separate Washroom/Bath Room and Changing Room at sign-in and sign-off points.
15. Additional Care/Benefits for Women with pregnancy and they may be permitted to proceed on extended Maternity leave(if required) and advised by the health care professionals.
Railwaymen are not only performing their normal duties, but also have come forward to manufacture “Isolation Wards” in train coaches, Sanitizers, Masks, PPE Kits etc. as also they have fully extended helping hand to the workers of the Unorganized Sectors, i.e. Informal Workers, Poor and Precarious Workers, by supplying them Ration and Food Packets to the extent possible.
In view of the above, we earnestly hope that, you will take immediate necessary steps on our foregoing suggestions, so as to enable the Railwaymen to work with safety and devotion to maintain uninterrupted Supply Chain throughout the country. An immediate action in the matter shall be highly appreciated.
Copy to: D.G.(RHS), Railway Board – for necessary action please.
Copy to: GSs, all affiliated unions – for information.